Management of WCAT
Director of Center
Name: BRONISLAW MARCINIAK
Born: Pleszew, Poland, June 30, 1950
Marital Status: Married, 3 children
M.Sc.: 1973, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland
Ph.D.: 1979, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland
D. Sc.: 1989 ("Habilitation", Postdoctoral degree), A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland
Professor title: 1998, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland
Summary of positions held in Poland :
1973 - 1979: Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1981 - 1989: Adjunct, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1990 - 1991: Docent (Ass. Professor) Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1991 - 1998: Associate Professor, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1998 - present: Professor of Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1995 - present: Head of the Laboratory of Chemical Physics, Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1996 - 1999: Vice-Dean (research and foreign relations), Faculty of Chemistry, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
1999 - 2005: Vice-President (research and foreign relations), A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland.
2008 - 2016: President (Rector) of Adam Mickiewicz University since September 1th 2008.
2012 - 2016: President of the Conference of Rectors of Polish Universities (KRUP).
2016 - present: Honorary President of the Conference of Rectors of Polish Universities (KRUP).
2016 - present: Member of Presidium of Conference of Rectors of Academic Schools in Poland (KRASP).
2017 - present: Director of Center for Advanced Technology, Adam Mckiewicz University, Poznan, Poland.
Summary of positions held outside Poland:
1980 - 1981: Post-Doctoral Fellow (Professor Y. L. Chow), Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C.,
1985: Post-Doctoral Fellow (Professors T. N. Bell and Y. L. Chow), Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University,
1987: European Photochemistry Association Fellowship (Professor H. Dreeskamp), Institut für Physikalische und
Theoretische Chemie, Technische Universität, Braunschweig, Federal Republic of Germany.
1991: Visiting Professor, Department of Chemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Canada.
1991 - 1992: Fulbright Scholar, Radiation Laboratory, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, USA.
1993 - 2008: Visiting Scientist (short visits), Radiation Laboratory, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, USA.
1998: Visiting Scientist (short visit), Department of Chemistry, Gunma University, Kiryu, Japan.
2007: Visting Professor, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile.
2017: Guest Professor, Radiation Laboratory, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, USA.
1987: Research Award from the Ministry of Research and Higher Education in Poland.
1988: Research Prize from the Polish Chemical Society.
1991/1992: Fulbright Research Grant.
2000: Gold Cross of Merit.
2005: Knight's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta.
2007 - 2010: “Mistrz” Academic Grant for Professors of the Polish Science Foundation.
2009: Member of the Adger Academy of Sciences and Letters.
2009: Jan Zawidzki Medal of Polish Chemical Society for outstanding achievements in physical and inorganic chemistry.
2010: Dr. h.c. – Irkutsk State Univeristy.
(many times): Research Award from the Rector of Adam Mickiewicz University.
(many times): Award from the Ministry of Research and Higher Education in Poland.
Member of the Polish Chemical Society.
Chairman of the Section of the Polish Chemical Society: Photochemistry and Chemical Kinetics (1998 - 2000).
Member of the European Photochemistry Association (EPA).
Member of the Polish Fulbright Alumi Association.
Member of the Adger Academy of Sciences and Letters since 2009.
General Physical Chemistry - undergraduate
Chemical Physics (Photoluminescence of Solutions) - undergraduate
Molecular Photochemistry - graduate
1. Photophysical, photochemical and spectroscopic properties of silicon atom containing polymers and their model compounds.
2. Photochemistry, photophysics and radiation chemistry of organic compounds.
3. Photoinduced electron transfer reactions involving sulfur-containing organic compounds.
4. Free radical chemistry.
Author of 150 scientific papers, one book and one patent with h = 25 and citations (without self-citations) = 1680
J. Rozwadowski „Sensybilizowane fotoutlenianie związków organicznych zawierających atom siarki(II) w roztworach”,1996.
E. Janeba-Bartoszewicz „Reakcje fotochemiczne 1,3,5-tritianów w roztworach”, 2002.
T. Pedzinski „Badanie właściwości fotofizycznych i fotochemicznych pochodnych akrydyny w roztworach. Procesy przeniesienia
energii i przeniesienia elektronu”, 2003.
P. Filipiak „Reakcje fotochemiczne siarkowych pochodnych aromatycznych kwasów karboksylowych”, 2004.
A. Wojcik „Free radical reactions in the system thiol/pyrimidine”, 2006.
A. Bednarek „Fotoindukowane reakcje przeniesienia elektronu z udziałem fenylosilanów w roztworach”, 2007.
M. Bayda „Spectroscopic and photochemical properties of arylene-sililene-vinylene polymers and their model compounds”, 2009.
A. Lewandowska ”Photoinduced electron, proton or hydrogen-atom transfer reactions in benzophenone-tyrosine and
benzophenone-methionine bichromophoric systems“, 2011.
M. Ignasiak “Sudy of the mechanism of radiation- and photo-induced oxidation of methionine containing peptides”, 2014.
- Guest editor of the special issue of the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, vol. 95, no 1, 1-102, 1996.
- Guest editor (with K. Bobrowski) of the special issue of Nukleonika vol. 45, No. 1, 1-113, Blackhorse Publishing, 2000.
- Chairman of the International and Local Organizing Committees of the conference: ”Symposium on Physical Organic
Photochemistry”, July 23-27 1995, Poznań, Poland.
- Chairman of the Organizing Committees of the conference:”Reactive Intermediates in Sulfur Chemisty”, August 23-26, 1998,
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry 1999 - present.
- Editor and co-author of textbook on ”Metody badania mechanizmów reakcji fotochemicznych”, Adam Mickiewicz University
Press, Poznań, 1999.
- President of the Polish Fulbright Alumni Association 2001-2004.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Polish- US Fulbright Commission 2006-2009 (Chairman 2009).
10 selected publications (out of 150):
1. K. Bobrowski, B. Marciniak, G. L. Hug, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 114, 10279 (1992) "4-Carboxybenzophenone Sensitized
Photooxidation of Sulfur- Containing Amino Acids. Nanosecond Laser Flash Photolysis and Pulse Radiolysis Studies".
2. B. Marciniak, G.L.Hug,J. Rozwadowski, K. Bobrowski, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 117, 127 (1995) "Excited Triplet State of
N-(9-methylpurin-6-yl)pyridinium Cation as an Efficient Photosensitizer in the Oxidation ofSulfur-Containing Amino Acids.
Laser Flash and Steady-State Photolysis Studies".
3. A. Chem. Soc., 125, 11182 (2003) “Unexpected Hofmann Elimination in the Benzophenone – (Phenylthio)acetic
Tetrabutylammonium Salt Photoredox System”.
4. G. Hörner, A. Lewandowska, G. L. Hug , B. Marciniak, J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 11695 (2009) “Solvent effects on the intramolecular
hydrogen-atom transfer between tyrosine and benzophenone. Diverting reaction mechanisms in protic and nonprotic media”.
5. A. Lewandowska-Andralojc, F. Kazmierczak, G.L. Hug, G. Hörner, B. Marciniak, Photochem. Photobiol., 89, 14-23 (2013)
„Photoinduced CC-coupling Reactions of Rigid Diastereomeric Benzophenone-Methionine Dyads”.
6. P. Filipiak, G.L. Hug, K. Bobrowski, T. Pedzinski, H. Kozubek, B. Marciniak, J. Phys. Chem. B, 117, 2359 (2013) “Sensitized
photooxidation of S-Methylglutathione in aqueous solution. Intramolecular (S:.O) and (S:.N) bonded species”.
7. M. Bayda, M.Ludwiczak, G. L. Hug, M.Majchrzak, B.Marciniec, B. Marciniak, J. Phys. Chem. A., 118, 4750 (2014)
“Intramolecular Charge Transfer Photoemission of a Silicon-Based Copolymer Containing Carbazole and Divinylbenzene
Chromophores. Electron Transfer Across Silicon Bridges”.
8. P. Filipiak, K. Bobrowski; G.L. Hug, D. Pogocki, Ch. Schoneich, B. Marciniak, J. Phys. Chem. B., 120, 9732 (2016)
„Formation of Three-Electron Sulfur-Sulfur Bond as a Probe for Interaction Between Side Chains of Methionine Residues”.
9. M. Bayda, G. Angulo, G.L. Hug, M. Ludwiczak, J. Karolczak, J. Koput, J. Dobkowski, B. Marciniak, PCCP, 19, 11404 (2017)
„Electron Transfer in Silicon-Bridged Adjacent Chromophores. Source for blue-green emission”.
10. M. Yamaji, A. Horimoto, B. Marciniak, PCCP, 19, 17028 (2017) “Laser photolysis studies of ω-bond dissociation in aromatic
carbonyls having C-C triple bond stimulated by triplet sensitization”
Prof. dr hab. Bronisław Marciniak
tel. +48 61 829 1990
Director of Center 2009-2017
Bogdan Marciniec Professor at the A. Mickiewicz (Faculty of Chemistry), Poznań, (in the years 1988-1990 a Rector of this Univesity), an outstanding chemist, the member of the Polish Academy of Sciences and European Academy of Arts, Sciences and Humanities as well as the Mirror Group of the European Platform for Sustainable Chemistry. He was the initiator of establishing University Foundation and of the first in Poland Poznań Science and Technology Park. Professor Marciniec belongs to the world's elite of specialists in silicon chemistry and organometallic catalysis. His research is focused on the synthesis of organosilicon (also boron and germanium) compounds on the basis of new reactions and new catalysts of known reactions. He wrote over 350 scientific papers, icluding 14 books (9 in English), 130 patents and over 40 industrial technoologies of wich 143 have been implemented in PIW "UNISIL" in Tarnów-Mościce, founded in 1989 by Prof. Marciniec as a first university spin off. For his remarkable scientific achievements he has been given the Prime Minister Award of the Foundation for Polish Science (Polish Nobel Prize) in technical sciences (2009) and the "Honorary Pearl" in science awarded by "Polish Market" (2009). Professor Marciniec aims to implement in Poznań the european model of cooperation between science and industry. He has put forward the idea of the Wielkopolska Centre for Advanted Technologies - Materials and Biomaterials and is the head of the Coordination Committee at this Consortium.
Prof. dr hab. Bogdan Marciniec
tel. +48 61 829 1900