The main aim of the WCAT project is to establish in Poznań a multidisciplinary centre assembling the best specialists in science and technology, focused on new materials and biomaterials for a wide range of applications. The integration of Poznań researchers will enable to create a centre of high international rank, which through its activities and economic environment will make a very essential element of science-based regional economy of the Wielkopolska area. The outcome of multidisciplinary work of the centre will be the development of new syntheses of chemicals, biochemicals and agrochemicals (fine chemicals), as well as the development of a new generation of bio- and nanomaterials and their precursors, followed by the development of advanced technologies and biotechnologies of their production intended for the application to optoelectronics, medicine, pharmacy, agriculture and many other branches of industry and technology. The research conducted in the WCAT will be also aimed at creating the technological basis for a number of applications of bioorganic chemistry, molecular biology and biotechnology in the broad-based health care (i.e. molecular and cell therapy and medical diagnostics) as well as for agrotechnological and food industry applications.
The project Wielkopolska Center for Advanced Technologies (WCAT) – Materials and Biomaterials is the investment project of the scientific community of the city of Poznań co-funded by the European Union (ERDF) within the OPIE, with a total budget of 251.52 million PLN (EUR 63 million). The construction of the WCAT infrastructure facilities started in the fall of 2010 and the beginning of the operational phase of the project is scheduled for the beginning of 2014.
- 5 University level schools (Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań – project coordinator, Poznan University of Technology, Poznan University of Life Sciences, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan University of Economics),
- 4 Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry PAS, Institute of Plant Genetics PAS, Institute of Human Genetics PAS, Institute of Molecular Physics PAS,
- Institute of Natural Fibres and Medicinal Plants,
- Poznan Science and Technology Park of Adam Mickiewicz University Foundation,
- Poznan City Hall (currently as support partner).